CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
The Institute for Security, Defense and Peace, at Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in partnership with the Faculty of Security Studies, Belgrade (Serbia); the Faculty of Criminalistics, Criminology and Security Studies, Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and the University of Applied Sciences, Velika Gorica (Croatia) are pleased to invite scholars and researchers to submit paper proposals for the forthcoming annual international scientific conference, to be held on 5-7 September 2018 in Ohrid. This time the annual conference is devoted to an exceptionally important and urgent issue of international, regional and national interest: the migrant and refugee crisis.
This conference will provide a platform for the exchange of academic knowledge and empirical findings about the migrant and refugee crisis, which, in addition to enormous human suffering, has set serious challenges for states and international actors. The idea of this event is to bring together scholars from the wider Balkan region (especially from the states from the so-called Balkan route), as well as scholars and experts from other countries.
The aim of the conference is multifold:
- To promote a better understanding of and the dimensions of the world migrant and refugee crisis. As organizers of this event we would like to host a fruitful and open dialogue between the members of the academic community and the representatives of relevant national and international actors that are directly involved in crisis management.
- To provide an exchange of experiences and lessons learned from current and past instances of crisis management;
- To assist in the search for ways in which the academic community should treat these problems
- To develop research projects aimed at improving networking and giving practical assistance in times of crisis;
- To stimulate rethinking about the level of preparation and possible reform of the security sector as well as of the other national and international agencies in time of crisis;
- To raise public awareness and promote empathy for the refugees and economic migrants.
Among a vast list of possible themes to be discussed, we propose the following:
- Refugees and global migrations: a crisis of humanity
- Human security and refugee crisis
- Comparison between responses to the refugee and migrant crisis: states, international organizations and civil society
- EU at the crossroads: from hospitality to refugee rejection
- The Macedonian response to the refugee crisis
- Media and the refugee crisis
- Political discourse on the refugee crisis: between humanitarianism, populism and economic interests
- Politicization or securitization of the refugee crisis
- Demography and international migrations
- Terrorism, migration and the private security sector responses